Project Manager (Arches Project)
J. Paul Getty Trust
Los Angeles, CA
- Contract Type
- 93148 USD - 113330 USD
- Closing date
We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-directed and organized information technology professional to fill the position of Project Manager at the Getty Conservation Institute supporting the Arches Project, an open source data-management platform providing a robust suite of software tools for a broad range of data-management needs of the international cultural heritage community. The software integrates a wide range of modern and innovative tools, including semantic, geospatial, and web technologies.
Reporting to the Arches senior project manager, you will be an integral part of the Arches Project team and will foster effective relationships with the diverse and interdisciplinary Arches community, which includes global heritage organizations, software developers and service providers, IT staff, and cultural heritage professionals, such as archaeologists, architects, conservators, researchers, scientists, and educators.
This job will begin in the office full-time. The opportunity to request a telework schedule may be available after an initial period of training and orientation and will be discussed and approved by your supervisor. Typically, staff with approved telework schedules at the Getty Conservation Institute are in the office more than half of the time.
The Getty Conservation Institute is dedicated to improving the conservation of the world’s cultural heritage—its art objects, museum collections, historic buildings, and archaeological sites. We are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and our work often takes us to heritage sites across the globe including locations in South America, Asia, and the Middle East, where we work in partnership with heritage professionals from the region. Our staff come from diverse disciplines including architecture, archaeology, conservation, information science, chemistry, engineering, operations and business management, and communications.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Use your project management skills, as well as your knowledge of open-source technologies and semantic technologies, to manage community activities and resources for the Arches project. This includes working with management to create and present plans, timeframes, and budgets for community-related projects, and being responsible for the overall execution of each project’s scope.
- Your primary focus will be to interact regularly with the global Arches community and oversee communications that foster effective and open collaborations with users and contributors. This will include taking charge of the moderation of the online Arches Project Community Forum, facilitating and producing webinar presentations on topics of interest to the community, and presenting information about the Arches Project at professional conferences.
- Manage projects and activities that support the formation of a new sub-community dedicated to Arches for Science, which is designed to manage information gathered as part of technical studies of cultural heritage objects and help heritage scientists and organizations manage their research data concerning objects as diverse as paintings to prehistoric artifacts.
- Be the driving force behind the creation of technical documentation and promotional content, including presentations, webinars, forum posts, blogs, social media copy, and publications in professional and academic journals.
- Lead the preparation of training materials; track logistics, tasks, and milestones for workshops and other training events.
- Build consensus, encourage feedback, and acknowledge contributions from the community.
- Contribute positively to the project communication plan and help with the change management elements of the open-source project.
- Develop collaborative relationships with community members who contribute in various capacities, and initiate new alliances and partnerships.
- Professional development is encouraged and supported through on-the-job learning, specialized training courses, and participation in workshops.
- International travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years progressive software analysis, development, and implementation experience, with a preference for open-source software implementation
- 0-2 years information technology project management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Able to be independent and make decisions regarding assigned projects with limited guidance
- Knowledge of open-source technologies and familiarity with semantic technologies preferred
- Strong general technical skill set with the ability to learn new software approaches and methods quickly.
- Able to effectively communicate complex technical information to a variety of audiences. Polished written and oral communication skills, and public speaking abilities.
- Able to productively contribute to interdisciplinary teams
- Experience with data management, science data, and an understanding of cultural heritage is preferred.
- Able to develop collaborative relationships and initiate new and productive alliances
- Familiarity with or working knowledge of the Arches Platform and/or any of the software components of the Arches Platform (PostgreSQL or similar relational databases and Django (Python) framework) is preferred.
All candidates must apply online. Please be prepared to upload your cover letter and resume when prompted to do so by the online application system. Candidates who successfully complete the online application process will receive an automated message via email. If you have questions about this position or the recruiting process, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for applications has been extended to February 15, 2024.
Benefits and Perks
Here are just some examples that Getty offers/provides for full-time employees:
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance coverage, starting on date of hire. Getty pays 75%-95% of the premium, depending on the plan selected.
- 403(b) Employee Investment retirement plan – with up to 5% Getty Match
- Getty contribution of 6%, on behalf of employee, to 401(a) retirement account
- Educational Assistance and professional development
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Personal Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Many positions have bi-weekly Off-Fridays
- On-Site Fitness Center at Getty Center
- Community service opportunities