Associate Conservator of Antiquities
Malibu California United States
- Contract Type
- 78941 USD - 130238 USD
- Closing date
The J. Paul Getty Museum seeks to inspire curiosity about, and enjoyment and understanding of, the visual arts by collecting, conserving, exhibiting, and interpreting works of art of outstanding quality and historical importance and is one of four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust. The Museum operates two sites, the Getty Villa in Malibu, which exhibits its collection of Greek and Roman antiquities, and the Getty Center in Brentwood, which displays its collections of European art: Medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts, paintings, sculpture, decorative arts, drawings to 1900, and photography to the present day (including non-European works). The Museum mounts approximately 25 temporary exhibitions a year across its two sites; maintains an annual permanent gallery improvement program and offers wide-ranging and ambitious programming for its visitors.
The J. Paul Getty Museum seeks a qualified Associate Conservator to join the Department of Antiquities Conservation located at the Getty Villa. The ideal candidate will have a background in archaeological conservation and in the technical study of works of art, as well as experience in exhibition conservation and installation. A demonstrated knowledge of ancient materials and technologies and a desire to conduct technical research will be an asset. Preference will be given to candidates who are proficient using portable analytical equipment, 3D scanners, and laser cleaning, and who have a keen interest in following innovations in conservation science and their applications. A collegial and engaged team member, the Associate Conservator will work closely with other Getty Villa conservators and mount makers, as well as with curators and other Museum staff across two campuses. The Associate Conservator will take part in implementing the Museum's exhibition program, special conservation projects, and the ongoing study, maintenance and treatment of the permanent collection.
• Experience and ambition for working at a high level in all functions of conservation.
• Manages and initiates technical projects in area of expertise.
• Participates in all aspects of the examination, conservation, and research of the Getty collection and outside collaborations.
• Guides graduate interns and junior conservators and supports activities of assistants and technical staff.
• Analyzes environmental factors and determines appropriate storage, transport, environmental and exhibition display conditions.
• Travels nationally and internationally for loans and to examine works and develop partnerships with other institutions and professionals.
• Publishes and lectures in area of specialization.
• Remains current in conservation practices and carries out research leading to advances in the conservation field.
• Engages with curators on technical issues related to potential acquisitions.
• Collaborates and partners with museum colleagues on complex projects.
• Collaborates on/or co-curates special exhibitions.
• Provides scholarly contributions to exhibition catalogs, profession journals and conference proceedings.
• Performs scholarly research in support of the institutional mission.
• Stays engaged with the conservation community.
• MA in conservation or equivalent degree
• 5-7 years experience in conservation