1 year fixed term contract
About the job
We are looking for a highly skilled paper conservator to undertake a range of preservation and conservation procedures and contribute to the work of the Conservation and Collections Care Team.
This role will be main liaison and coordinator within the Conservation and Collection Care team for the digitisation programme.
In this role, you will support the Wellcome Collection's digitisation programme by undertaking pre-digitisation surveys of material, providing specialist triage advice on handling, stabilisation, preparation and conservation of items; providing training for digital programme staff as required.
* work across Wellcome to review and administrate the disaster recovery plan for the collections and provide appropriate training programmes for those colleagues involved
* To support the programme of new acquisitions by attending off-site and in-house assessment surveys and treatments.
* To contribute to handling procedures and training of Wellcome Collection staff and users - inductions and refreshers.
* To manage external contractors and specialist conservation needs, specifying and overseeing their work.
* To keep accurate records and documentation associated with all conservation and preservation work.
* To contribute to the development of innovative and creative engagement opportunities with our collections by supporting research into the material and access for events.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
* a recognised qualification in book &/or paper conservation with evidence of ongoing CPD
* detailed knowledge and experience of high-level conservation treatments on book, paper, manuscripts, artworks and related materials
* working experience of digitisation projects, including condition surveys and pre and post digitisation preparation
* experience with handling collection material and delivering excellent handling training for users
* a working knowledge of a range of conservation treatments for a wide variety of media and their supports (incl. prints, drawings, parchment and photographs).
* to effectively communicate with multiple different stakeholders and excellent interpersonal skills
* high levels of motivation, initiative and the ability to work independently
In addition great organisational and prioritising skills with a proven ability to manage complex workloads would be desirable.
We believe great ideas can change the world and improve health for everyone.
Wellcome Collection is a place that challenges the way people think and feel about health by connecting science, medicine, life and art through our collections.
Wellcome isn't just a supporter of great ideas; it's a great place to work. We offer excellent benefits and help our employees to develop in an open, respectful culture where differences are valued.
If you are talented and passionate about our work and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience working with our collections, then we'd like to hear from you.
Full details are on our jobs page https://wellcome.ac.uk/jobs
Closing date: Sunday 19th November 11.59pm