Alexander Dumas mansion to be conserved

User menu

View of the Chateaux de Monte Cristo © Chatsam CC-BY 3.0
Place: 
France

PARIS - A project to conserve the mansion where famed novelist Alexandre Dumas, author of classics including "The Three Musketeers" lived, has started last month.
Known as the Chateaux de Monte Cristo, the house in the vicinity of Paris had fallen into disrepair and was further threatened by humidity; the project will also include conservation of the fountains and water systems in the English-style gardens.
Frédérique Lurol, the estate director, said work on restoring the building itself will begin before the year's end and last until May 2016. Repairs will total €921,000 (£652,000), which will include replacing the plumbing, roof and stained glass windows.
It was hoped that a fundraising effort would have covered a substantial part of the cost but so far only €20,000 has been secured and it is now hoped that the rest of the funds will be covered by government grants.
Having made a fortune from his literary successes, Dumas had the mansion built in Port-Marly in 1844 and named it after one of his most popular novels, "The Count of Monte-Cristo".
A small house on the grounds, in which Dumas used to work, also requires a complete overhaul.
Called Chateau D'If, it is named after the prison in which Edmond Dantes, hero of the "The Count of Monte-Cristo", was locked up for 14 years.
The site attracts on average 21,000 visitors per year and it is expected that it will remain open during the conservation work.