The Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts (CCAHA) in Philadelphia is seeking a Preservation Specialist. The Preservation Specialist contributes to the mission of CCAHA through conducting institutional assessments and assisting with institutional preservation planning; supporting educational programs; and providing technical information to libraries, archives, museums, historic sites, and other cultural institutions.
Candidates located in or willing to relocate to the Philadelphia area are preferred, but remote work may be considered. This position requires frequent travel, which will resume as travel restrictions are lifted and safety conditions allow.
• Conducting on-site preservation needs assessments and risk assessments with written reports for libraries, archives, museums, and other organizations.
• Assisting institutions to develop preservation plans, emergency plans, and collections management policies.
• Maintaining familiarity with preservation literature, particularly resources related to emergency preparedness and response.
• Presenting lectures and preparing both in-person and webinar programs for professional and lay audiences to promote awareness of preservation concerns and practices.
• Providing technical information via telephone, e-mail, and in print on preservation topics.
• Assisting in updating and expanding the range of technical literature available through CCAHA.
• Writing articles for publication.
• Representing CCAHA at conferences and other public programs and participating in professional associations on a local, regional, and national level.
• MLS (or equivalent), MA in Museum Studies, or MS in Conservation and a minimum of two years experience working in a cultural institution.
• Training in and a thorough understanding of preservation principles, practice, and issues, including issues in digital preservation and emergency preparedness.
• Experience in conducting and writing preservation assessments and other planning documents for cultural institutions.
• Experience in participating in emergency preparedness efforts for cultural institutions.
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Talent in teaching and public speaking.
• Ability to work independently.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Medical, dental and vision benefits are included. Salary range is $46,000 - $54,000.
Click here or send an email to preservation_specialist_id_ZITUyGNdIthy@ccaha.freshteam.com to submit your letter of application, resume, writing sample (preservation assessment if relevant), and three references via email with the subject line "Preservation Specialist Application" addressed to Ms. Dyani Feige, Director of Preservation Services, Conservation Center for Art & Historic Artifacts.
Position is open until filled; applications received by March 12 will receive priority review.
CCAHA was founded in 1977 and has grown to be one of the largest nonprofit conservation centers in the country. Its wide array of services, sophisticated treatment facilities, innovative approaches, and highly trained and experienced staff have earned it a prominent and respected place in the conservation field. We serve nonprofit cultural institutions, private individuals, and other collecting organizations in the preservation of works on paper, archival documents, photographic materials, and books through conservation treatment, collection surveys and consultations, housing & framing, and digital imaging services. Our preventive conservation and preservation services staff focuses on capacity building for collecting institutions through fundraising support, strategic planning and assessment projects, emergency planning and response initiatives, and in developing educational programs and conferences. CCAHA's mission is to provide expertise and leadership in the preservation of the world's cultural heritage.
CCAHA does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff and our clients.