The KU Leuven Core Facility VIEW offers a postdoctoral scholarship position for a researcher in international mobility (early career). VIEW investigates the characteristics of documentary heritage through an interdisciplinary approach. VIEW facilitates research in the fields of diagnosis, conservation and new technologies for the digitalization of historical artifacts. VIEW's labs provide a stimulating environment for in-depth research on heritage documents in physical and digital form.
• You write and develop your own Research Project on documentary heritage using the labs of the Core Facility VIEW.
• Your research project is mainly related -- albeit not limited – to the Heritage Collections of KU Leuven (both the Special Collections KU Leuven Libraries and the Precious Books of Maurits Sabbe Library).
• You will publish scientific articles in collaboration with the research team.
• You will present your research on national and international platforms.
• You hold a PhD within a discipline in Humanities, with preference in (Art) History, Conservation-Restoration or Heritage Studies, or you will obtain it before you start your contract.
• You have yet expertise in material-technical research and imaging techniques of heritage objects, in particular with documentary and library heritage (books, parchment, paper, papyrus).
• You have a understanding of the degradation of heritage materials. By preference you are yet skilled in conservation-restauration techniques of documentary heritage.
• You have a good knowledge of analytical and imaging methods that are used in the field of heritage science and conservation of library materials.
• You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
• You are flexible and able to work independently.
• You have collaborated yet in academic projects.
• You have publications in international journals on topics related to our research.
• You are able to speak and to write fluently in English; knowledge of French and/or Dutch is considered a plus.
• We offer a postdoc scholarship (full-time). The postdoc scholarship will initially be for 1 year and may be extended for another 2 years subject to a positive performance review. A postdoc scholarship can only be awarded to candidates who you did not stay in Belgium in the past years or to those who were engaged in a principal activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for a maximum of 24 months during the 36 months (3 years) prior to the starting date of the position.
• The planned starting date is the 1st of March 2022 or as soon as possible afterwards.
• You will be administratively connected to the Core Facility VIEW - KU Leuven
• You will conduct your work at KU Leuven in the laboratories of VIEW under the guidance of Prof. dr. Lieve Watteeuw (supervisor) and Bruno Vandermeulen.
• We offer a minimum annual salary for the post-doc in international mobility of 43,000 Euro.
For more information and to apply go to: https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/jobs/60070406?hl=en&lang=en