The Nationalmuseum in Stockholm invites applications for a temporary, full-time position as Conservator in the field of illuminated Medieval and Renaissance manuscripts for 8 months (1st of June 2022 – 31st of January 2023). (Ref NM2021/401).
The Nationalmuseum is a state authority and Sweden's leading museum of art and design with approx.150 employees. The museum collections consist of older paintings, sculptures, drawings, and graphic works, as well as arts and crafts and design from antiquity to the present day. The collections are shown on Blasieholmen, Stockholm and in around 20 other locations such as, Läckö Castle, Jamtli and Gustavsberg Porcelain Museum.
The manuscript collection of the Nationalmuseum is small but of high quality. It was brought together during the 20th century, with a special focus on illuminations, and consists of 20 bound volumes, with a total of ca 4000 leaves, and ca 90 loose leaves and fragments, with objects dating from the 11th century to the beginning of the 16th. The manuscripts represent various categories of biblical, liturgical, devotional and legal texts, and were produced in locations across Europe and other parts of Christianity: in Italy, France, Constantinople, Ethiopia, England, Spain, Germany and the Low Countries.
During 2022 and 2023, the manuscripts will be fully inventoried and photographed, and will undergo preventive conservation in a project dedicated to the collection. A selection from the collection will be presented to the general public on the Nationalmuseum's website, while more detailed information on each object will be entered in the database.
Nationalmuseum are now looking for a conservator with an extensive experience from similar projects to join the multi-professional team!
Your main tasks include:
• Documentation, condition assessments and conservation treatments of the collection to support digitization.
• Propose and carry out preventive conservation treatment if needed.
• Provide handling support and guidance to photographer if needed.
• Participate in streamlining workflows and developing working methods within the project.
• Degree in conservation at university level or equivalent knowledge and skills sets.
• 5+ years of professional experience in high-level conservation treatments on rare books and manuscripts, and detailed knowledge of book structures and paintings on parchment.
• Practical hands-on experience of working on conservation projects, especially in the context of digitisation, of illuminated manuscripts is highly desirable.
• Good knowledge of preventive conservation issues.
• Experience of conservation documentation in collection management systems is desirable.
• Fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Competency in Swedish/Scandinavian languages is an advantage.
We expect that you can work independently and collaboratively. You must be proactive, consistent, responsible and show flexibility and comfort in changing environment.
Our operation enjoys a high level of visibility in society and is of interest to a great many people. Our aim is that the composition of our staff should reflect the diversity of our society. If you are to enjoy working with us, you should have a keen interest in art and design, and be responsive, enthusiastic and happy to involve your colleagues in your working process, in line with our values of Togetherness, Focus, Inspiration and Courage.
In the selection process, we will attach great importance to personal suitability, motivation and attached portfolio.
Informal enquiries are welcomed by Anne-Grethe Slettemoen, Head of Conservation Unit/Deputy Director of Department of Preservation and Photography, e-mail Anne-Grethe.Slettemoen@nationalmuseum.se, tel +46 8 5195 4442.
The union representatives are Audrey Lebioda for SACO tel +46 8 519 543 78, Joakim Werning for ST +46 8 519 544 73 and Bo Gustafsson for SEKO +46 8 519 543 78. The telephone number for all the union representatives is +46 703-78 44 42..
Your application, which must include:
• Cover letter explaining your interest in this position
• Curriculum Vitae
• Relevant diplomas and certificates
• Portfolio with three case studies
Salary depending on qualifications between 37 000 - 39 000 SEK per month before tax
Please see the Nationalmuseum website for further information on how to apply: https://jobb.nationalmuseum.se