Host: English Heritage
Duration: 24 months
Bursary: £17,500 / annum
Deadline: 13th December 2021
This Icon Internship is hosted and funded by English Heritage. English Heritage cares for over 400 historic monuments, buildings and places. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million visitors each year.
This internship will focus on preventive conservation science, providing experience of working and research alongside the conservation scientists at English Heritage. The intern will gain practical experience and knowledge of environmental monitoring and data analysis, calibration of sensors and active control of environmental conditions in rooms and display cases. The placement will also offer experience in materials testing, analysis of collections, and research into their deterioration.
Specific training and work based activities for this internship will be:
• Assist in managing different environmental monitoring systems, including selection, installation, calibration, downloading and data analysis, contributing to environmental management strategies for English Heritage properties.
• Understand how and when active environmental control systems are used within English Heritage and manage these to ensure optimal display and storage environments for collections.
• Using analytical and testing equipment to solve a variety of challenges posed to collections.
• Recognise the challenges posed by displaying collections in historic buildings and work to balance the requirements of collections, buildings, visitors and staff.
• Working alongside conservation scientists carrying out research into collections deterioration, informed by the National Audit of English Heritage collections.
• Experience of project teams delivering new exhibitions to display collections at sites across England.
• Participate in day-to-day activities of the conservation science team, including experience of work undertaken by the Collections Conservator and Collections Care Assistants in London to provide Preventive Conservation and Collections Care at our sites.
For more information and to apply please visit: https://www.icon.org.uk/resources/jobs/icon-internship-preventive-conser...