• Unique opportunity for a conservator with expertise in the treatment and care of books and paper
• Work within a creative, innovative team, to protect the Auckland libraries Heritage Collection
• Salary $75,000 - $99,000, based in Auckland, New Zealand
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
This is a rare opportunity to join the Auckland Libraries Conservation Team as part of the Connected Communities department. As a Conservator at Auckland Council, you will contribute to the wide range of conservation care practices undertaken to ensure these collections are protected and accessible for generations to come.
Your expertise in remedial treatments for documentary heritage will complement an understanding of the interrelated preventive conservation knowledge required to effectively provide world-class heritage care.
You will join a collaborative and supportive team of conservators and technicians, working together to create innovative solutions for realising heritage exhibitions, solving storage challenges, and taking a lead role in disaster preparedness.
In this role a few of your key responsibilities will be:
• Undertake specialist remedial treatments for the collections
• Design and lead the creation of custom-made protective enclosures
• Provide training for lab staff to undertake conservation activities
• Develop and carry out preventive conservation measures for heritage areas of the library
• Take a lead role in Disaster Readiness for Connected Communities heritage
He kōrero mōu: About you
You'll have proven documentary heritage experience in both preventive and remedial conservation for books and paper. You will ideally possess a relevant tertiary degree. Accreditation of a professional body such as the New Zealand Conservators of Cultural Materials, AICCM, ICON, or the American Institute of Conservation.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
An exciting opportunity to join a specialised team and play a key role in the care and long-term preservation of our heritage collections.
We are a dedicated team and we're looking for someone exceptional to join us. If you are looking for an opportunity to draw and expand upon your passion for conservation of heritage collections, then look no further.
To view a copy of the position description, please use this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mmoKlsTPbqXaOChBE5EVpMcj3ENM0iv7/edit
Any questions, please contact email@example.com
Auckland Council is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
Auckland Council strongly encourages our employees to be fully vaccinated.