In Focus: Light! - Call for Papers
The lighting of cultural heritage objects in museums and historic houses is the focus of a conference organised by the German Association of Conservator-Restorers (Verband der Restauratoren - VDR) Preventive Conservation Working Group in cooperation with the Klassik Stiftung Weimar.
Date: September 26th - 28th, 2019
Venue: Goethe-Nationalmuseum, Weimar, Germany
VDR invites contributions from research and practice. The aim of the conference is to improve discussions on, but not limited to, the following major lighting topics.
Quality of light:
* Spectral energy distribution of different light sources
* Sensitivity of different materials to different types of radiation
* Measuring light sensitivity of materials/Micro Fading Testing
* How dangerous is heat radiation, and how do we deal with it?
* Artificial light vs. daylight?
* Practical light protection (shielding, filtering, covering etc.)?
* Examples of lighting regimes in different collections, especially longterm experience.
* What is 'state of the art' in lighting technology?
* Novel and future developments
* Examples of adjustments of existing lighting (low budget examples are welcome)
* Lighting design and light colour requirements of different types of objects.
* Design aspects concerning the choice of different lighting media.
VDR appreciate contributions by professionals and experts working on any aspect of lighting of heritage objects, including curators, conservators, technicians, scientists, designers etc. Conference languages will be German and English. The event falls in cojunction with celebrations of the 100th anniversary of Bauhaus in 2019.
Submissions for 20-minutes presentations or posters must be in Microsoft WORD format with a maximum length of 3000 characters including the working title. In addition, we request a brief biography and a photograph of each author (minimum resolution 300 dpi, PNG, JPG or TIFF format). Proposals to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dead line for submissions: February 15th, 2019.